Friday, December 31, 2010

Flada

Flada is a newer cheese from Switzerland.  It is very soft, very ripe, and ready to stink up your entire home.

The aroma of Flada is generally described as "barnyard", which is not, I suppose, too inaccurate - you definitely get a sense of filthy animals and general unwashed reek from this little fellow.  But is it lovely! Oh, that reddish, ripply rind, cracking open to reveal a round expanse of yellow, runny goo - it makes a pretty picture, that's for sure.

But what of the taste?  I have to say, I wasn't as blown away as I thought I'd be, but it is good and quite interesting.  It is salty, meaty, milky, heady, stinky... a cheese only a cheese lover could love.  It begs merely to be spooned (yes, a spoon would work better) onto crusty bread.   Be sure to bring it to room temperature before eating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment