Friday, March 26, 2010

Majorero Pimentón

My Exotic & Rare cheese collection from Artisancheese.com arrived. I opened the box to find another box:

 I opened this attractively designed box to find these inside:



Oh! How lovely.  From left to right: Testun Al Barolo, Barely Buzzed, Majorero Pimentón, and Vervacious Cinque Terre Apricot Mostarda.  (not pictured: a small package of artisan crackers.)


Well, you can just imagine how excited I was.  I was very impressed with the packaging and attention to presentation shown by Artisan Cheese.  They also included a pamphlet with detailed descriptions of all of my cheeses, and suggested wine pairings.  I definitely got my money's worth, and I'll be ordering from them again in the future.  Now, on to the first cheese:




Majorero Pimentón
This is a raw milk goat cheese made in Fuerteventura, one of the Canary Islands.  Its rind is liberally coated in pimentón pepper, which is also known as smoked paprika - but the Spanish version seems both smokier and spicier.


Majorero is a hard, dry cheese with a mildly buttery aroma (once you cut past the smoky, spicy rind).  The taste is really out of this world.  I couldn't get enough.  It's salty and vibrantly milky-tasting, but the peppered rind imbues it with a warm, smoky fullness as well.  You can really get in touch with the goat's milk used to make it.  It's very "natural" tasting.  It also looks great, as you can sort-of see in the photo above (phone camera + bad lighting).


Majorero Pimentón is a truly impressive and exotic cheese that is still accessible to anyone's palate.  I can't recommend it enough.  Serve it with Spanish accompaniments like ham, almonds, fig jam, and such.  It'll blow your mind.


RATING: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment